Monday, June 1, 2009

The First Drop Off and Pick Up

Today is the DAY. MissPot went to school for the very first time to ACG. We went this weekend and bought her new clothes at gymbo and got her all ready.
I woke up early and got ready first. MissPot woke up at 7:20 am ( My mind is already telling me we are late! :) ) V and I spent the few minutes with her as usual hugging, squishing and playing in bed. I brushed her teeth and we came downstairs. I told her to eat her breakfast quickly so we can go to school and she said "no - I don't want to go to school" I quietly ignored that sentence. She sat with her appa at the table for breakfast - milk and omelette. Appa fed her. Appa then got her dressed. We took pictures and S perima and thahtha/paati called to wish her good luck.

THE DROP OFF
I got her and J in the van and V came in his car. On the way I reminded MissPot that I would drop her at school and come home feed J and cook lunch and come back to pick her up. We rode happily singing and chatting as usual.

We reached the school and I carried J and her backpack. Appa carried her in because she wanted appa to carry her. Miss Donna (the director) greeted us at the door. Summer school day starts at the play-yard. So she offered to take MissPot back to the room to drop off her backpack and then take to the playground. We said ok. Off went MissPot with her backpack on her back and bunny in hand. She talked to Miss Donna all the way "my mommy told me to collect all my things... on and on". We waited anxiously. Miss Donna walked back and said - well she took off to the play-yard so if it is ok with you there is no need of formal good-byes and making a scene.
I was shocked - I didn't get a chance to hug my baby - i wanted a formal good-bye. We finished off some paper-work and Miss Donna then said ok we are done. I said I want to go see MissPot and both V and Miss Donna pounced on me that it was a bad idea. I was allowed to go peek through the fence at the play-yard. I went and looked and looked but couldn't find her. :( So I left waiting to come back to pick her up.

THE PICK UP.

I left at 11:00 itself to go pick up MissPot. Since J was nursed and napping I left him behind with Paapi. I parked and went in and Miss Donna said - "well looks like she had a good day.. she did cry a little - but it is quiet now so she is not crying anymore!" ...oh my heart sunk so... poor baby did miss me after all.. well if they had let me tell her a proper bye this would have not happened! *hmhp* :)

I was allowed to go to the class to pick her up today since it was the first day and when we stepped in there she was. ..it was circle time and MissPot was sitting next to the teacher. She saw me and had a HUUUUUUUUUGE smile on her face but continued to sit and repeat something Miss Stephanie had just said. Miss Stephanie told her it is ok you can go now. She jumped up and hopped around the circle "my amma is here - ya ya ya ya" and she came running to me and gave me a big HUG! I was so thrilled to see her too. "Hi Amma" Miss Donna told her bye and asked her if she will see her tomorrow and she nodded a big yes with a big smile and then we stepped out. Her next question was "Where is appa" I said he has gone to office.
She immediately then told me "amma- na azhidhen (I cried)" .. that's ok kanamma - I missed you too. Na naraya azhidhen (I Cried a lot) when I went potty - yennaku amma venum solline (I said I want Amma). Amma na thana potty pozhi, bottle pump panni, kai wash panni, tap thana muditen (I washed my hands by myself) and then Miss Stephanie - good job sonna yenna! Ni yenna panna? (What did you do). SO I gave her a detail account of what I did as I loaded her up in the car.

We then got in the van and she shared all the details with me and I had V on the phone listening. She had so much dun with the tools there.. she even put them back in the shelf back. She haerd a story about a big brown bear and the snow and then Miss Stephanie sang a jumping song. She then saw cards with Ducks and Swans. She also said "Amma - onaku theriyumo? Na thaana malai panine" (Amma - do you know - I made a necklace by myself).

She had such a blast but poor baby she did not eat the Animal cracker snack and apple juice. She said I was sad so I did not eat.. na vandam solliten! I am sure that will change soon. All in all a successful first day and she said she is looking forward to going tomorrow!

4 comments:

Sudharsana said...

Thats my girl. Big Hug ! Group Hug :) As for not saying bye to her, make sure you keep repeating " Amma always comes back ! " Remember the famous phrase that worked with Atusha ? I think it is important for you to say bye to her, so she knows you left and that you will come back. It might make her cry more to begin with, but then she will realize that you dont slip away to where she has no idea what might happen. Leave with "Bye, I will come back " :-) Am sure you know all this.... just a reminder !

Raji P. said...

First day of school, wow! I remember the day she was born!

Lakshmi said...

I know - still feels like yesterday - I was lying in the hospital bed waiting for A&A and V to arrive .. so then we could bring her into this world..

Era said...

congratulations on another milestone!