Saturday, May 23, 2009

We found it ... i think!

After our quest for the perfect place for MissPot to have fun, learn and grow we have found the perfect school for her at A Child's Garden Montessori. (ACG). We looked at 4 schools and 2 were out immediately. One was a nice school but too far and not the best location. The second one is a block from home - how perfect - not! It is a 'clone me' school.. all of the kids go to the same school and then after go to the same gym, same ballet class etc etc. wear the same kind of clothes and their moms are in suits and kiss in the air.. you get the picture. We don't fit there.

ArborCreek was our first love - a quaint house turned into a Montessori by 2 women who have lived and breathed this approach to helping children learn and grow forever now. We also have dear friend Mikayla going here so it was a major pro.

However ACG has turned out to be the winner. It is again a small joint run by a director who respects her teachers enough to allocate a cyberspace for them (unlike the aforementioned 'clone me' school). MissPot has visited twice and loved it both times.

The thing that V and I loved about the montessori approach and esp this school as well arborcreek is the peacefulness that the children seem to exude in that environment. Believe me - none of the 20 kids in a room are quiet or bored - they are all busy bees but still there is an air of calmness and sense of order.

So are we looking forward to it???? MissPot is thrilled and it is so cute to watch her eyes open wide in wonder of all the things and the other kids and the whole new world in front of her. V is excited too.
Me - HELL NO! I am not ready to let go of watching my baby learn. This is the part that has made my motherhood so fulfilling.. watching her discover new things in front of my eyes.. figuring out the simplest things, playing with things in her own way (not the way I think you are 'supposed' to'), imagining an object to be several other things every 10-15 minutes and running around the house being very busy. Most of all her talk - i know this will change. Her language and style of speaking are just tooooooooooooooooo adorable for words. No blog or video or tape can capture her whirring mind that spews out all these adorable thoughts. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :(
I know she will grow to be a sweet, loving, smart little one that she is and that the school environment is 'good' for her but YES I am being selfish. I cannot think that starting June 1st I will leave her somewhere where I have no insight of what she is doing and how she is enjoying and discovering new things.
I may never be ready for this but I am hoping that this the best place for her to be if not at home. So wish us luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finding the right school. It's gonna be a great experience for all of you.

Raji P. said...

That is wonderful news - finding the right fit is a stressful and time consuming process. Don't worry - the time at home will be that much more special for her now that she will be away from you for a few hours. And you need the time to recharge too!

Does she realize you will not be there with her at school?!

You'll have the fun of her "Ammaaaaaaaaaaaa" when she sees you after school! (and this can be in any one of many tones, LOL!)

Got a new outfit for her first day of school?!

Sudharsana said...

Great !! Am sure she will have blast. Daj has already said all that I want to say !! ;-) You will enjoy that time all alone with Mr.J. Remember he is still home with you. You will find that very special too.