Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Another first - a truly precious moment

We had 2 HUGE growing up moments that make me smile and cry at the same time.... motherhood is tough.

We were riding back home for school. I had made lunch and  we were talking about what we are going to eat and MissPot says "Amma - why can't I stay back at school? Why can't I eat lunch with my friends?". Well we have been having this request on and off but now it's picking up real steam. I hate the thought of having to pack lunch every morning. Anyway I said why don't we try a couple of days a week first and then you can go to all days and even stay back for a full school day. But don't worry you don't have to stay after school. MissPot immediately said "Yes amma - I want to stay back and I can stay even after school for art class with my friends.. I miss my friends amma" And hearing those words made me choke and brought a drop to my eye. I don't know why because I always thought I will be happy to move her to full-time when she was ready. Well she is ready and yet I felt so hurt for a split second that my baby wanted to stay at school and that she was 'missing' them. As silly as it sounds it has taken me the whole day to recover and as she hugged me to sleep at night and said "Don't worry amma - I am always your baby" - I know I will miss our one-on-one afternoon times doing fun art projects, reading, writing -everything. But one thing won't change with the change in the times we spend together - she is always my baby.

J on the other hand took a huge growing up step. At 4 different times today he stopped in his tracks and looked at me and said "Amma aaiii" and I would run him to the potty and he peed int he potty. While he has been peeing in the potty for a while today is the first day when he has voluntarily said it consistently all day.. and the best part was everytime I would hug him and carry him to the pot - he would hug me back with a HUGE smile and then give me a kiss... :) He has the biggest bestest hugs ever... a true experience of a BEAR HUG!